Friday, March 30, 2007

Review - Mr. Chickee's Funny Money


When I have a few moments of free time on the bookmobile, I have been reading Mr. Chickee's Funny Money by Christopher Paul Curtis. I have enjoyed his novels in the past and thought this would also be a fun one.

The premise of the novel is that Mr. Chickee gives Steven a quadrillion dollar bill (Soul singer James Brown is the portrait on the bill). It turns out the bill is real and the Feds are trying anything to recover it. The book was okay, but not excellent. The feds were written as fools, the premises of many of the sub-plots were ridiculous. If the book had been written as more of a fantasy, I might have believed it. There were funny parts and the concept of a quadrillion bill would be fascinating (lots of Disney trips) but the other parts of the book really kind of ruined it for me.

Appropriate for young children and adults with no sense of humor. About 150 pages.

Next up is Al Capone Does my Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko.

No comments: