Thursday, February 14, 2008

Review - Beverly Hills Dead


The latest book I finished was Beverly Hills Dead by Stuart Woods. I usually like Woods books but I have mixed feelings on this one.

The plot of the book is that Rick Barron, now the head of production of Centurion Studios, is making a film. That's pretty much the plot. There are two subplots, namely one of the writers has been caught up in the Hollywood blacklist of communist sympathizers and the co-star of the picture is murdered. That's pretty much the whole story. Both subplots are not concluded until the final pages of the book.

I think this book would have been more interesting if Woods had focused more on the movie making aspect of the book. That, to me, is fascinating. Like many of his other novels, Woods works sex into the story, which is described pretty graphically and really adds nothing to the plot or to the story. And like his other novels, he invites readers to comment on the book but chastises them if they should want anything else.

I am getting the impression that Woods is tiring of writing and this book certainly shows it. His characters are recycles from previous books, only set in an earlier time frame.

My recommendation is to skip this book. Earlier works are better and fresher than this title. Next up for me is Airman by Eoin Colfer.

No comments: