Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Review - Killing Ground

The last book I finished was The Killing Ground by Jack Higgins. It was okay. I enjoy Jack Higgins, the characters he writes and his stories. Higgins, a pseudonym for Harry Patterson, has been writing since the 60's. This novel is typical of his writing--political thriller.

After a young girl is kidnapped, Sean Dillon and party decide to rescue her. But they rescue her from a fortress in Irag and from the "Hammer of God" himself. This sets off a chain of events that threatens everyone involved.

Part of the plot was that Dillon's boss, General Ferguson, was to be killed along with Harry Salter, a former London mafia boss whose son is now a member of Dillon's special assignments team. But the story fell flat on it's face at that point. It was dealt with in probably a single paragraph. I was disappointed to the lead-up and the let down that centered around the plot.

As I said above, the book was okay. I would recommend it if there was nothing else to read or if the reader liked political thrillers. I won't stop reading Higgins and I'm looking forward to his next book, Rough Justice, due to be released later this year. Oh, well, now it's time to read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Finally!

No comments: