Monday, October 06, 2008

Review - The Peoples Tycoon


I just finished listening to The People's Tycoon: Henry Ford and the American Century by Steven Watts. This biography of one of America's most fascinating individuals, was very enlightening. I never knew he had a rocky relationship with his son, Edsel, or his anti-Semantic views. I never knew he had espoused social causes, even developing a sociology department within his company in the early years. I was interested to learn his close relationship with Thomas Edison and was surprised about his friendship with George Washington Carver.

I enjoy an occasional biography. I wish the author had spent less time on Ford's social causes and more time on the development of the automobile. I was disappointed the book didn't cover more about the Edsel brand but later learned the car did not make it's debut until the 1950's.

The CD was 29 hours and 34 minutes long and read by John H. Mayer. It would receive an endorsement but not a ringing one. Read it (or listen to it) if you want, but there must be more interesting biographies of Ford out there.

No comments: