Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Review - H.I.V.E

Yesterday I finished H.I.V.E. : Higher Institute of Villainous Education by Mark Walden. The premise of the book was that H.I.V.E. was supposed to be an elite school where tomorrows super-villains are trained. Even though this is a obvious ripoff of Harry Potter and Evil Genius, I still enjoyed it.

Otto Malpense has managed to run the orphanage he is in, even bringing the Prime Minister to his knees, but suddenly Otto is kidnapped and whisked away to H.I.V.E. Along the way he meets Wing Fanchu, a martial arts expert and they quickly become friends. He soon decides he wants off the island and begins planning an escape that looks next to impossible. With the help of Laura Brand, a computer genius, and Shelby Trinity, a diamond thief, they concoct a plan to escape the island and it's leader Dr. Nero. I won't tell you what happens, but will say there is a sequel.

We cataloged this as young adult, but there is nothing offensive enough in it to prevent a younger child from reading it. But the characters are young adult age, hence our decision. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Now I'm reading Medusa by Clive Cussler.

No comments: