Thursday, July 24, 2008

Review - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


I just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling. I may be one of the last people on earth to have read it, but I doubt it. In one sense it was nice to see the series conclude. In another, it was a little sad.

It had been a while since I read the previous installment, so I didn't really remember how it ended. This book starts with Harry, Ron and Hermione on the run from Lord Voldemort. They have been following the instructions Dumbledore gave them to find the Horcruxes. Yet they stumble upon the secret of the Deathly Hallows and have to decide if they are going to pursue them or the Horcruxes as they were instructed.

I was a little let down by the book. I would have rather read about Harry's last year at Hogwarts topped off by a final showdown with Voldemort. It was not as dark as some of the previous titles in the series, so I would not hesitate to recommend it, though it would only be appropriate for an advanced reader, perhaps 4th grade and up.

Since I have been without the resources of a library for the last 6 weeks, I actually bought my next book to read, Plague Ship by Clive Cussler!

No comments: